Novena for Life – Required Program
Chairman John Bowlin Life Programs
Lead your community in the spiritual fight to establish a culture of life in our nations. Knights and their families will come together in both public and private acts of prayer to promote the protection of life. Council participation in Novena for Life is required to qualify for the Columbian Award.
The protection of life is a sustained prayer intention of the Church, and in particular of the Knights of Columbus. Knights remain firmly committed to defending the right to life of every human being – from the moment of conception to natural death. To commemorate and bolster this important cause, councils will promote a novena, nine days of sustained prayer, to build up a culture of life in our parishes, homes and wider community.
Chairman Role and Responsibilities
• Plan the schedule, events, and activities for your Novena for Life.
• Order relevant supplies for your program.
• Promote the novena in your parish and community.
• Complete and submit all associated reporting forms to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission.
1. Working with your pastor, obtain his recommendations on conducting a Novena for Life.
2. Set a date for the novena. Consider incorporating it as part of the council’s participation in a 40 Days for Life campaign or schedule it to precede a major feast day or pro-life event.
3. Plan the schedule, events, and activities for the novena. Visit www.kofc.org/novena to explore resources for potential intentions, reflections, events and more. Requirements for the nine days are broad and should be molded to suit your parish and community.
Keep the following recommendations in mind when planning your Novena for Life:
• Anchor the beginning and end of the nine days with public church services like a Mass or rosary
• Consider organizing a social activity during the novena for the parish to come together and celebrate life
• Involve members of many parish organizations, especially the parish school and religious education leaders, in promoting and participating in the novena and services
• Invite members of local culture of life groups to join in your novena and services
4. Order Prayer for Life Prayer Cards(#4665) through Supplies Online, the supply ordering portal available on Oﬃcers Online, and distribute them to members of the parish. Have these prayer cards available the week prior to the start of the novena, at the opening church service and at all associated activities. Also place a good supply of prayer cards in your church and council hall.
5. Prior the start of the novena, use the sample press release as a model to create and distribute a tailored release to local media.
6. Build public interest for the event! Promote the Novena for Life in your parish and larger community through a variety of eﬀorts:
• Prominently display promotional posters (which can be ordered through Supplies Online)
• Bulletin announcements
• Pulpit announcements
• Posting on your council and parish website / social media pages
7. To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission. Remember to retain copies for your council records.