Free Throw Championship
Chairman Conrad Meier Community Programs
2021 Minnesota State Free Throw Tournament
There will not be any district, regional or state free throw contests this year due to the coronavirus and our need to be safe and responsible.
We do leave it up to the councils if they want to hold a council contest and they are able to do so while following state, local, and parish or school rules!
We also suggest the following:
1. No audience or any in the gym except the competitors and the minimum number of knights required to run the competition. (This should include two brother Knights who are compliant with the Knights Safe Environment standards)
2. All except the competitors should wear gloves (plastic such as used for food prep would be fine) and masks.
3. Competitors should wear masks except while shooting.
4. Competitors helping with ball return should also wear gloves.
5. Balls should be thoroughly cleaned with sanitizing wipes before the competition and after each competitor has completed his “round”.
6. Above rules also apply to any “warm up” time.
2020 Minnesota State Free Throw Results
Our 2020 State Free Throw Contest was cancelled to the disappointment of the regional winners and their parents. The contestant scores were even better than last year so it would have been an awesome contest. We were going to be at the new Tech High School in St. Cloud which would have been great as all the facility was on one level and it was brand new! We checked with the Supreme office as to having state trophy winners and at that time it was acceptable that our winners be selected by using the regional scores.
The state trophy winners can be found here under Documents. There is also a complete listing of all the regional winners and their scores.
After checking with the status of the states and countries this year the Supreme office suspended having international champions for this year. The international champions are selected by using the scores submitted by all the states and countries who hold contests each year.
I did have the trophies completed but with the coronavirus and the “Stay at Home” order in our state they have not been picked up for distribution at this time. They are big and hard to safely ship. With the state restrictions being changed we can look at having them delivered to the winners. I still suggest that they be handed off using all safety precautions including face masks and social distancing. I would like an electronic picture of the individual trophy winner holding his/her trophy sent to me by email or text message.
Thank you to all the knights and facilities who held contests this year and to all the parents and contestants who make this such a fun event.
Stay tuned for the status of the State Free Throw Contest in 2021. Even if the coronavirus is under control there could be contest changes for the safety of everyone involved.
International Winner for 2019