Family of the Month/Year
Chairman Dan Shea Family Programs
Promote and support the development of strong and vibrant families. Each council establishes a committee to recognize a deserving Family of the Month and Family of the Year with potential for recognition on the international level.
Each month, the council Family of the Month committee selects one parish family that models Christian family values and visibly lives them every day. Once a year, each participating council also selects one of the previous twelve Family of the Month winners to represent the council/parish as the potential international Family of the Year. The Knights of Columbus Family of the Year is chosen by the Supreme Council and recognized each year at the annual Supreme Convention.
Chairman Role and Responsibilities
• Working with your pastor, assemble a committee of council and parish leaders to serve as that year’s Family of the Month Committee.
• Each month, ensure that the winning family is selected and formally recognized in the parish and local media.
• At the end of the fraternal year, prior to your state convention, select one of the previous twelve monthly winning families to represent your council and parish as Family of the Year.
• Complete and submit all associated reporting forms to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission.
1. Working with your pastor, put together a committee of council and parish leaders to serve as that year’s Family of the Month Committee.
2. Order the Family of the Month Kit through Supplies Online, the supply ordering portal available on Oﬃcers Online.
3. Each month, hold a committee meeting to select the Family of the Month. To be selected as Family of the Month, each family should stand out as an exemplary model to others in the parish. They should meet the following criteria:
• Is the family tight-knit? Does the family spend quality time together?
• Does the family attend weekly Mass together? Does the family pray together outside of Mass?
• Has the family made significant contributions to the parish and church community?
• Does the family serve as a model of Catholic family values?
4. Once the Family of the Month has been selected, formally present the Family of the Month Certificate(#1843) to them. Make sure that they are duly recognized! This could be after a Mass, at a Knights of Columbus event, or at another parish event. Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the event.
5. Use the Family of the Month sample press release as a model to create and distribute a tailored release to local media.
6. Recognize the Family of the Month in your parish and larger community through a variety of eﬀorts:
• Bulletin announcements
• Pulpit announcements
• Posting on your council and parish website / social media pages
7. At the end of the fraternal year, prior to your state convention, select one of the previous twelve monthly winning families to represent your council and parish as Family of the Year. Make sure to contact your state family chairman to stay informed of deadlines and where to send entries.
8. To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission. Remember to retain copies for your council records.